Friday, August 28, 2009

Good morning

I'm sitting in this borrowed room, curtains drawn over the view overlooking the lake and gardens, still blinking the blur from my eyes. It's almost ten o'clock, but my body protests that it's really before seven. My mouth full of coffee and chocolate milk, ears full of Regina Spektor--this moment is hard to beat.

As hot water washed over my skin this morning, I thought about how there wasn't a shortage here, how I could take as long as I liked and only feel marginally guilty instead of being harped at by my father because of the bills. And it's gloriously beautiful here, all shades of blue and green. It reminds me of Washington last summer.

But as beautiful as it is, it's still not home. Not yet. No dry chaparral, golden and crisp beneath my sandal-clad feet; no stiflingly hot temperatures; no spontaneous visits to friends' houses. Oh, and the ocean. I don't miss her, not yet, but I will.

I feel a world away from the country I grew up in, separated by an ocean of land-water and all those millions of people who live there.

2 Comments:

Morgan Miller August 28, 2009 at 11:26 AM  

Oh, that land-water.

This is beautiful.

I think it will feel homey soon enough.
Just be prepared for... (dun dun) ACTUAL WEATHER.

Q August 28, 2009 at 1:57 PM  

What a lovely picture...

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP