Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Decisions

I figured while I was waiting for mi clase de español to start, I might as well post a little something, since I haven't in a while. This past weekend was mildly crazy, yet so worth it: camp counselor practice via a little something called "Adventure Weekends"! I'll definitely be going back next month; hopefully it won't be as crazy, we were way overbooked and had over 170 people running around with just ten of us staffing... welcome back to camp, indeed.

Oh! I also managed to scrape a pass on my driver's test last Wednesday, so I'm officially a licensed driver! Woohoo! *does little celebratory dance* Of course, my partying is dampened by the fact that I have neither car, nor insurance, nor job to pay for either of these. Oh well. One step at a time, I guess.

Anyway, what I really wanted to talk about is a scary thing called college. I've been investing time for the past few weeks in looking around for transfer schools. Currently, I'm leaning strongly towards a small public liberal arts school in Maine, but Chapman University here in SoCal as well as Champlain College in Vermont tag along on my list as second and third, respectively. I suppose it's now just a matter of meeting with a counselor and figuring out if I'll even be able to apply for transfer next fall; I don't want that big fat F I got in chem lab last semester to come back to haunt me.

I also need to decide on my major soon. I've already said that I'd like to pursue a major in Creative Writing, but, as my mom so lovingly pointed out a few months ago I'll "need to get a real job" after school. So, here comes the tricky part. I love history. I'd like to teach. So, do I double major in Creative Writing and History, or major in Creative Writing and minor in History? Or should I just forgo the Creative Writing altogether and major in Secondary Education, with an emphasis in History?

It's all very confusing.

Then there's the issue of money, and that's an entire issue by itself....

The only thing I'm really sure about? I want to travel/study/live abroad. If I don't, I shall be a very sad puppy indeed.

Until next time, I suppose. :)

6 Comments:

Maya October 22, 2008 at 9:45 AM  

I say we just scrap this college thing altogether and go abroad. :]

Q October 23, 2008 at 1:39 PM  

If you become a teacher, you'll have no time to write.

Cassandra October 23, 2008 at 2:51 PM  

Clone: If only, right?

Q: Therein lies the problem... At the moment, though, a "real job" is not looking too appealing. We shall see.

Holly October 25, 2008 at 7:13 PM  

I have to choose a major this semester too. Sigh and blah.

Have you heard stuff like this from authors' blogs?:
http://justinelarbalestier.com/blog/2008/07/22/writing-career-advice/

Donne October 28, 2008 at 3:36 PM  

Better do what you love... but pay the bills. Hm. Think you could get a job at a newspaper, writing columns? Maybe teach/tutor/sub part time?

Donne October 28, 2008 at 3:37 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP